Friday, June 27, 2014

Pondering Peace



"Peace does not dwell in outward things, but within the soul; we may preserve it in the midst of the bitterest pain, if our will remains firm and submissive. Peace in this life springs from acquiescence to, not in an exemption from, suffering." —Francois Fenelon

Today marks 1 year since my subtalar joint fusion. This was done in hopes of lessening the pain in my ankle. Unfortunately it resulted in a nonunion, described by Wikipedia as being "a permanent failure of healing following a broken bone." The pain increased immensely, and despite using a bone growth stimulator and seeing some progress, it hasn't healed. So here I am, looking at another surgery, a revision of the fusion, and essentially another summer "lost". Hey, I'm a Florida girl who LOVES the beach!

In all seriousness though, I have PEACE. I can't tell you the last time that I had peace. In fact, you are reading the writing of a girl who has the book, "Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie on her nightstand. (I moved it in there a week or so ago from my bookshelf in my desperate attempt to beat stress). But I haven't even opened it. I haven't needed to. Will I? Possibly in the future. I have read the first chapter or so several years back, and I do recall it had some great insight. But for now, I'll read my Bible.

It's amazing how the more intimate you are with the Savior, the more your thought life aligns with the things of the Spirit.

I was actually driving down the road the other day when my mouth dropped open as I thought, "I have peace. I have peace about my life, my ankle, my marriage, and my future." I am sure that my deliverance session with my pastor helped IMMENSELY, as we sent the spirit of fear packing, but ultimately it was a combination of that and intimacy with the Father.

Quieting the voice of the enemy is crucial to hearing the voice of God more clearly.

It's so easy to get caught up in the little things, and distracted by all that there is to distract us. There are so many things fighting for our attention. But I have found that when I get away to a quiet place, dive into God's word, and enter into His presence uninhibited, the worries of the world (and myself) melt away in the fire of God's love. This fire is available to all of us, at all times. We just need to be still enough to tap into it. May you be consumed with the peace, love, and joy of Daddy God in all circumstances, despite how challenging they may be.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”    —John 14:27



No comments:

Post a Comment